Since its 2016 release, the Scarlet Fire® dogwood has been available on a limited basis, propagated through nurseries that are Rutgers licensees and distributed to nurseries in New Jersey and in other states for resale. It is estimated that over 10,000 bare-root liner trees (propagation stage trees) were sold in 2017, many of which will enter the retail garden center market in the spring of 2018. Others will be grown on to larger trees for container and ball and burlap sale and use by the landscape industry in later years. Propagation numbers continue to grow as demand increases for the tree with over 25,000 budded in 2017 by Rutgers licensees to produce liner trees which will be harvested in 2018 (and enter the retail market in 2019).
- RareFind Nursery sells retail for home owners late August to early September, but you must call in advance to be added to their waiting list.
- Good Earth Nursery sells both retail and wholesale during this time period, but quantities are limited, so make sure to call in advance if you are interested.
- Pleasant Run Nursery fills wholesale orders for the nursery and landscape industry in August. Call your local nursery as soon as possible to be added to their waiting list.
- Spring Hill Nursery sells Scarlet Fire® by mail order. They should have a large inventory in the spring.
- See Where to Buy Rutgers Dogwood Trees to contact a licensed propagator who will advise where to find Rutgers hybrids at a nursery near you.
To ensure genetic purity and variety performance with the Rutgers hybrid dogwoods, it is recommended to purchase trees from nurseries that acquired their inventory from propagators who are authorized licensees of Rutgers University and use the variety trademark by name.
NOTE: Asexual reproduction of Rutgers patented hybrid dogwoods and use of trademark names without a license agreement from Rutgers University is strictly prohibited.