After propagating more than 20,000 progenies, several cranberry varieties have been released through Rutgers that produce more plentifully than the average plant and exhibit an accelerated bed establishment. Cranberries are also being tested for increased anti-oxidant levels. The team’s research also led to the discovery that cranberries and blueberries fight urinary tract infections.
U.S. Plant Patent # 22,541
In addition to functionality and disease resistance, the appearance and flavor of the All-Star Rutgers Scarlet Knight® cranberry has been carefully selected for a deeper color red and a sweeter taste. Enjoy Rutgers Scarlet Knight® cranberries this November!
- Color: darker red, uniform coloring, high red pigment (anthocyanin) content
- Flavor: sweeter, low titratable acidity
- Appearance: larger and rounder fruit, 2.4 grams/berry
- Quality: longer shelf life, good keeping properties
- Yield: higher, average of 300 barrels/acre